Initiators and Reciprocators (We're back babyyyyy!)

First and foremost, as you might've guess, world's shortest hiatus. (not actually but 4 days is relatively short at least)

After checking with my cousin, we figured out that I did actually set up the internet correctly, just forgot to give the router a pass-code. (which it has now. hackers pls go)
The reason my internet kept cracking out was my internet transmitter (which was beautifully out of date) decided that it was done existence. It's now changed and works perfectly, as well as everyone else's internet in the house.
That all said, our network is still called rics nedtwsorgkm. And will be indefinitely.



ON to the 'real post', I was talking to a relative of mine recently whom when I told him about my radio plans, worriedly told me that I'm probably screwed because radio makes no money and I should do trades.
I am aware that radio is not an especially monetary gaining sort of field, I'm walking into the school portion knowing that. I'm not going back on my plans however, sink or swim: I am trying radio.
(A later version of me may regret this and facepalm at this post. That alone makes it worth it. Heheh.)

Another thing he mentioned is that 'People who do radio have to be extroverts. Super people people, talkative, etc.', which though I was aware of, did lead me to think about my shyness.
That's right PTErs, I consider myself shy.

Something I thought about with the shyness bit is how the art of conversation works. There seems to be two roles in conversation, the initiators and the reciprocators. Initiators start the conversations, they're the first to say hello, first to make a call, first to invite, first to come up with topics and things to say. Reciprocators continue the conversation, they respond, they pick up the phone, they play along with the topic and maybe change it if the initiator doesn't first.
What this has to do with my shyness is I've figured I'm a near A+ reciprocator, and an almost failure initiator. I'll wholeheartedly admit I've always been terrible for reaching out to people to keep contact. (sorry guise) I rarely am first to say hello unless I feel gutsy enough to do it. Most times I feel like my hello will be unresponded, and my words a waste.
I have lots of thinking to do on how to address such, especially as I could see not being initiative enough as a hindrance to my success in radio.

Initiator or Reciprocator: Which are you better at?



7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i would rather curl up in a ball

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you'll get better at talking if you practice. Plus I feel like there are probably jobs in the radio field that don't necessarily involve DJing and talking, if they interest you. Or who knows, you might pick up something practical at school and then apply it to something totally different. It's still worth it to give it a shot :)

    I'd say I'm okay at initiating and reciprocating, so long as the other person will also reciprocate. I've definitely gotten better since starting university.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely winging it for school and radio :P

      I hear ya, Uni seems to have helped me the most to make me less awkward. I agree though, carrying a conversation with someone who won't reciprocate is very difficult no matter how talkative you are.

      Delete
  4. I'm certainly an initiator when it comes to conversation. Sometimes to the point where I bother people because I control the conversation to the extent that I do.
    I also seem to be an extrovert with mostly introverted friends, it's a weird world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed on the weird world bit, but I think introversion is extensively widespread, so I'm not surprised by your situation one bit.
      I applaud your willingness to go out on a limb and create conversation, even if you spearhead it, you're still making the effort. (My issue is inverted, I'm afraid to bother people and that fact is ruining many of my efforts. But I also find that when I do try to start convos, people either shake me off or act what I determine as bothered, so It's a conundrum...)

      Delete